Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Perma-Resilience

I have always been an underlying optimist. A Perma-Bull. I grew up religious, and as the world threw difficult 'then how come this' questions at me, I still loved the idea of an underlying 'bias to good'. A belief in progress. A belief in survival. I believe less in cause and effect than I ever have. I think stories that explain things are added after the fact to give us comfort. What happened is just one version of what could have happened. The world is complex, ambiguous and uncertain. What I do still believe in is our capacity to cope. I believe in our resilience. I believe in compounding resilience. The more hardship you have faced, provided you don't break, the more you will be able to deal with in the future. Believing what you do is only one small contributor to what happens doesn't mean it doesn't matter. What you do is the only thing that matters. The important thing is making sure what you do creates connections. Links in the story. Resilience.

No comments: