Friday, March 10, 2017

Detachment

We spend a lot of time with our colleagues, and clients. I don't accept the 'business isn't personal' mantra. For me it is deeply personal. I try to detach, although I am not very good at it. Detachment isn't about not caring about something. Detachment is about separating your identity from the thing, task or emotion. So rather than 'I am angry', it is about experiencing anger. It may seem like semantics but how we define ourselves, matters. If you define yourself by your job, obviously it is personal. Deeply. The same is true if you define yourself by your country, relationship, sports team, car or pet turtle. Detachment is about being careful of defining yourself by the impermanent. The stories that connect things last if the connections are strong, but things themselves, all things, are temporary. 

You aren't your pet turtle

No comments: