Saturday, May 14, 2016

Removing Obstacles

Two legs of support for the Welfare State come from arch political opponents. The traditional Right and Left. 

On the right, the idea of 'Charity with strings' allows a tough love approach to supporting those in need. If you do this, that, and the next thing... then we will help. Clean up your act. Behave in a certain way. The welfare is in effect a reward for good behaviour. Like the sweets you give a child when they do their chores. Love with a sprinkle of judgement.

On the left, the idea of 'Charity with ag shame' allows a parental caring love approach to supporting those in need. You don't know how to do it. Shame, let me do it for you. I will decide what you need, and who needs something more than you. Let me teach you slowly how to do it for yourself. If that is possible. There are a lot of people who can't look after themselves at all and will never be able to. Love with a sprinkle of condescension

Sprinkles of Judgement and Condescension

I am a believer in empowerment. I hate hierarchy. It makes my blood boil. I love working with people. In partnership. I think the role of 'bosses' should be to remove obstacles. I think the role of the state should be to remove obstacles. Two legs I think would support this is a Universal Basic Income and building relationships. In order to really 'see someone' you can't approach with judgement or condescension. You approach with friendship. You learn from each other and with each other.


No comments: