Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Bermuda

After a brief lack of posts while I relocated from Jozi to Bermuda, I plan to be back with a bang.

A few first impressions of Bermuda or things that are a little different.

First, the rooves are all made out of quaried stone and collect water from the rain as there are no other sources of fresh water! So it is an island of white rooves.

It is actually very close to the States, less than a two hour flight from New York and Boston. So it is not really in the Bahamas or in the middle of nowhere as I expected. Even though the accent is American, and the currency is pegged to the US dollar, Bermuda is part of the UK. A population of just over 60,000 locals on an island of just over 24 miles squared. You are never more than a mile from the beach!

The water is that blue blue you associate with islands but I haven't had a chance to wander down to the beach yet.

It is very humid, so even the short walk to work this morning left me drenched... so tomorrow I plan on hiring a scooter to get me around.

A quirk... There is a guy named Johnny Barnes who stands at one of the turning circles from 4 am not matter what the weather... just to greet everyone and tell them he loves them! He is not a beggar (my first thought) as he stands at a point where no one could actually stop to give him money. He has been doing this for over 20 years and the bus stop by the circle is named after him. There is even a bronze statue of him about 15 metres down from the turning circle.

A few screws loose surely, but it does add a lot of character. So someone on the island loves me already... I know cause he told me so!

No comments: